Installing and encrypting

azdodge

Installing and encrypting

Post by azdodge »

Thanks for starting this software backup. I want to encrypt my Windows 10 PC boot partition. I tried Veracrypt but it has a problem with crashing while just browsing the web. Anyhow, I looked at how to install previous versions of DC before the UEFI. You said to make a Windows 2 Go disk. Is this for backup or does DC use this to restore and decrypt. I assume the Win2GO disk/usb isn't encrypted thus it will have your data unencypted. In the past, DC made a ISO for recovery. Does DC still do this? Does it make an ISO where I need to have a USB with GRUB on it and then I set my PC to legacy mode or does it make UEFI recovery USB stick like Veracrypt does now.

DavidXanatos

Re: Installing and encrypting

Post by DavidXanatos »

A backup is a backup, something you should already have.

The windows 2go disk is a boot disk, it should have a clean version of windows free of any personal files, its purpose is to help you with recovering should you end up in a non boot-able state.

For all intents and purposes it behaves the same way as you would have put your encrypted HDD into a secondary PC with windows.

You can install DC in the windows 2 go installation and than mount and decrypt your HDD, you can also use it to repair the boot-loader although for just that you can create a boot-able USB-Stick from DC directly.
Please note however that it currently does not offer the ability to decrypt the disk, only to boot directly or restore the UEFI boot-loader on it.

You can still create a Bootable Iso or PEX image but they will not work with a UEFI windows installation as than the disk has a GPT layout and not an MBR one.

To create windows 2 go disk you can use https://rufus.ie/

azdodge

Post by azdodge »

I have been using my PC for a couple of years so I assume Win2Go makes a backup of my Windows PC in a bootable format. I have backed up all my files to a veracrypt container so I have a backup.

The PC has the GPT boot and not the MBR. I can put it in legacy mode so I can boot from the USB by using Grub. So can I move the diskcrypt.iso to the USB and then edit the menu.lst file and change the boot to diskcrypt.iso or will this not work due to the GPT?

DavidXanatos

Post by DavidXanatos »

I have been using my PC for a couple of years so I assume Win2Go makes a backup of my Windows PC in a bootable format.
To make a Win2Go drive you must point the tool to a installation image of Win10, it does not backup your PC it just installs a fresh USB live boot capable windows 10 image to a extern USB-HDD (or a stick).
The PC has the GPT boot and not the MBR. I can put it in legacy mode so I can boot from the USB by using Grub. So can I move the diskcrypt.iso to the USB and then edit the menu.lst file and change the boot to diskcrypt.iso or will this not work due to the GPT?
This will not work.

Windows is limited to boot from MBR only in legacy mode and from GPT only in UEFI mode, booting from GPT in MBR mode or vice versa is not supported.

There for if you put your PC into legacy mode your windows wont be able to boot at all.

There are ways around it but these are permanently converting your installation from UEFI to MBR by, for example, using a disk imaging tool, re partitioning the drive and restoring the system backup image.