Windows 10 upgrades can break boot loaders

DeVIL-I386

Re: Windows 10 upgrades can break boot loaders

Post by DeVIL-I386 »

DavidXanatos wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:16 am
In any case a damaged boot loader can be easily recovered with a windows 2 go drive that has a modern DC version installed, from it you only have to reinstall the boot loader and voila as good as new.
VeraCrypt had the same problem. If Windows had installed an upgrade, the VeraCrypt UEFI bootloader was broken. With VeraCrypt version 1.24 the problem was solved. I tested it myself: it worked reliably for me!

released this on 7 Oct 2019
Fix issue related to Windows Update breaking VeraCrypt UEFI bootloader.

Is it one of these changes?
(1) Windows: Fix issue in UI for configuration autofix mechanism of bootloader
(2) Windows: Use correct parameters for 2nd call to SetStartExec in BootEncryption::InstallBootLoader
(3) Windows: Add UI options to control the behavior of automatic bootloader fixing when System Encryption used.
(4) Windows MBR Bootloader: workaround for SSD disks that don't allow write operations in BIOS mode with buffers less than 4096 bytes
(5) Windows: Restore veraCrypt boot meny entry for system encryption more often, especially during PostOOBE calls, and handle additional cor...
(6) Windows: only update MBR first 512 bytes if they have changed and don't update full MBR bootload in case of PostOOBE
(7) Windows: for system encryption case, also perform automatic fix of boot configuration if MBR boot used and not only EFI.