Windows 10 upgrades can break boot loaders

DeVIL-I386

Re: Windows 10 upgrades can break boot loaders

Post by DeVIL-I386 »

DavidXanatos wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:16 am
In any case a damaged boot loader can be easily recovered with a windows 2 go drive that has a modern DC version installed, from it you only have to reinstall the boot loader and voila as good as new.
VeraCrypt had the same problem. If Windows had installed an upgrade, the VeraCrypt UEFI bootloader was broken. With VeraCrypt version 1.24 the problem was solved. I tested it myself: it worked reliably for me!

released this on 7 Oct 2019
Fix issue related to Windows Update breaking VeraCrypt UEFI bootloader.

Is it one of these changes?
(1) Windows: Fix issue in UI for configuration autofix mechanism of bootloader
(2) Windows: Use correct parameters for 2nd call to SetStartExec in BootEncryption::InstallBootLoader
(3) Windows: Add UI options to control the behavior of automatic bootloader fixing when System Encryption used.
(4) Windows MBR Bootloader: workaround for SSD disks that don't allow write operations in BIOS mode with buffers less than 4096 bytes
(5) Windows: Restore veraCrypt boot meny entry for system encryption more often, especially during PostOOBE calls, and handle additional cor...
(6) Windows: only update MBR first 512 bytes if they have changed and don't update full MBR bootload in case of PostOOBE
(7) Windows: for system encryption case, also perform automatic fix of boot configuration if MBR boot used and not only EFI.

DavidXanatos

Post by DavidXanatos »

Thanks I'll check it out when I have soem spare time very busy with sandboxie right now

DeVIL-I386

Post by DeVIL-I386 »

I bought a new laptop for someone as a Christmas present. First I deactivated Secureboot. Then I used Hiren's BootCD PE to make a backup of the partitions as delivered.
Then I started the notebook normally and set up Windows 10 (Build 2004) WITHOUT internet connection. After that I encrypted the system with DiskCryptor - all this so far WITHOUT Internet connection.
After that I activated the Internet connection. Of course, Windows found a big feature update, which I installed manually.
As expected, the bootloader of DiskCryptor was not started after that. Instead the famous "Automatic Repair Loop" was displayed.

Of course, I had previously formatted a USB stick with FAT32 on another computer, and installed the bootloader of DiskCryptor on it.
But I did not need this USB stick.

I simply called the UEFI (in my case with the F2 key during the boot process) and changed the boot order to start the boot loader of DiskCryptor.

Boot Priority
1.) DiskCrypto (DCS) loader
2.) Windows Boot Manager

More was not necessary.

Unfortunately, the names can vary depending on the system.

--- --- ---

[DE]
Ich habe für jemanden als Weihnachtsgeschenk ein neues Notebook gekauft. Zuerst habe ich Secureboot deaktiviert. Danach habe ich mit Hiren's BootCD PE ein Backup der Partitionen im Auslieferungszustand angefertigt.
Danach habe ich das Notebook normal gestartet und habe Windows 10 (Build 2004) OHNE Internetverbindung eingerichtet. Danach habe ich das System mit DiskCryptor verschlüsselt - alles bisher OHNE Internetverbindung.
Danach habe ich die Internetverbindung aktiviert. Windows hat natürlich ein großes Funktionsupdate gefunden, welches ich manuell installiert habe.
Wie erwartet wurde danach nicht mehr der Bootloader von DiskCryptor gestartet. Es wurde statdesen die berühmte "Automatic Repair Loop" angezeigt.

Ich hatte natürlich schon vorher an einem anderen Computer einen USB-Stick mit FAT32 formatiert und darauf den Bootloader von DiskCryptor installiert.
Aber diesen USB-Stick habe ich nicht gebraucht.

Ich habe einfach das UEFI (in meinem Fall mit der Taste F2 beim Startvorgang) aufgerufen und dort die Bootreihen folge wieder so geändert, das der Bootloader von DiskCryptor gestartet wird.

Boot Priority
2.) Windows Boot Manager

Mehr war nicht nötig.

Leider können die Namen je nach System abweichen.
Attachments
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (110.2 KiB) Viewed 350 times

DeVIL-I386

Post by DeVIL-I386 »

DeVIL-I386 wrote:
Sun Nov 29, 2020 1:52 am
I simply called the UEFI (in my case with the F2 key during the boot process) and changed the boot order to start the boot loader of DiskCryptor.

Boot Priority
2.) Windows Boot Manager

More was not necessary.

--- --- ---

[DE]

Ich habe einfach das UEFI (in meinem Fall mit der Taste F2 beim Startvorgang) aufgerufen und dort die Bootreihen folge wieder so geändert, das der Bootloader von DiskCryptor gestartet wird.

Boot Priority
2.) Windows Boot Manager

Mehr war nicht nötig.
Unfortunately, I found that this tip does not always work!
On another computer I still always had a boot loop.
The rescue disk did NOT help me with the many hard drives and the unclear display of the partitions.

I had to completely decrypt the system drive (fortunately only takes 20 min with a Samsung 970 Evo 500 GB).
Then start Windows and re-encrypt again.

--- --- ---

[DE]

Leider musste ich feststellen, dass dieser Tipp nicht immer funktioniert!
Auf einem anderen Rechner hatte ich trotzdem immer eine Bootschleife.
Die Rescue-Disk hat mir bei den vielen Festplatten und der unübersichtlichen Anzeige der Partitionen NICHT geholfen.

Ich musste das Systemlaufwerk komplett entschlüsseln (dauert zum Glück nur 20 min bei einer Samsung 970 Evo 500 GB).
Danach Windows starten und wieder neu verschlüsseln.
Attachments
IMAG7621_1024px.jpg
IMAG7621_1024px.jpg (156.37 KiB) Viewed 114 times