Bootloader backup?

usefulvid

Bootloader backup?

Post by usefulvid »

I was used to backup a rescue disk for vera crypt.
I backed up the headers but that happens if the boot loader get messed up?
As far as I understand the header backup is password encrypted with the encryption password, right?

DavidXanatos

Re: Bootloader backup?

Post by DavidXanatos »

The boot/recovery media you can create from the boot-loader tool menu are not customized to your installation, i.e. they don't contain any header backups or alike.

There is a separate tools menu command for backing up volume headers, the created backups are encrypted with a password you can specify during creation of the backup.

If the EFI boot loader gets damaged its a non issue as you can boot directly using a USB-Stick with the boot-loader on it, or restore the boot-loader from the stick.

The only thing you shouldn't loose are the volume headers backups as without a valid volume header and the accompanying password the data on the drive are irrecoverably lost.

usefulvid

Post by usefulvid »

Means for a boot encryption I need 2 Header backups if I encrypted the small volume?
dcrypt_dHfqxZQP7K.png
dcrypt_dHfqxZQP7K.png (3.62 KiB) Viewed 719 times

DavidXanatos

Post by DavidXanatos »

Well, the only relevant partition is C:

The Volume4 is only a winRE image its the am on all windows instaltions usually, unless you have a OEM customized revocery but also than its he same on all machines form that product line.

usefulvid

Post by usefulvid »

Ok and why ist it mounted?
I only typed the password once in the Bootloader.
I was thinking what this
100-500mb System Reserved partition

Encrypt this partition with same credentials as main Windows
Was refering to it. So I encrypted the wrong partition and the 100MB Partition should be encrypted as well?

DavidXanatos

Post by DavidXanatos »

The 100 MB partition can not be encryptet its where the bootloader resides, thats a uefi limitation that one must remain unencrypted.
the 500 meg partition just does not mater its unimportant.

DC mounts on boot all partitions on all drives that have the same credentials as the boot volume

smile

Post by smile »

When istalling windows I partition my drives myself not with installer, so I never have 100MB partition to ben with. Does this now a requirement for Win10?

DavidXanatos

Post by DavidXanatos »

For EFI boot yes, you can not EFI boot otherwise.
If your BIOS system supports legacy MBR boot than you don't need any extra partitions.