problem encrypting boot partition w10/64

ToniDC

problem encrypting boot partition w10/64

Post by ToniDC »

Hello,
thank you very much for further developing DC. An excellent program and your work is very much appreciated. Please allow two questions:

1. Is there a limit to the max disc size in v. 1.1.846.118 and v. Build v1.2 Beta 3 ? Will discs >3 TB (HDD, SSD) be encrypted w/o probs?

2. I used Build v1.2 Beta 3 to encrypt the SSD on my HP 8460. It always started until 12 - 15%, then hangs there forever (three days+). There is no way to get into the system again, pw wll not be accepted at al. Only way is to use full backup system image. I tried several times, but to no avail. System is W 10/64bit enterprise, MBR boot, no UEFI, with two partitions, as described here: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=3.

Any help is greatly appreciated, thank you very much.

Best regards
Toni

DavidXanatos

Re: problem encrypting boot partition w10/64

Post by DavidXanatos »

1. There is no limit I have a 100TB raid array DC encrypted with no issues

2. Try using a live windows boot drive to do the OS encryption

ToniDC

Post by ToniDC »

Hello again,

please excuse late reply. Your suggestion worked, but even with booting from external usb, it is not possible to encrypt the whole disk. Only encrytion of partitions is possible. I tried many times, but to no avail. Unfortunately Win10 creates two partitions during installation (s. above).
And a win feature update does not work. Only way to do is to decrypt the partion first and then re-encrypt it after the update.

Is there any way to encrypt the whole disk? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

ToniDC

Post by ToniDC »

One more question, please: I tried to encrypt a newly bought and formatted NTFS 5TB external HDD. The process started w/o problems, the estimated time was shown as over 10h. But after just 20 min the encryption was finished? The HDD can be mounted only with the password, otherwise it is seen by the OSes as unformatted. How can I check, if it is really fully encrypted?
Like always any clarification is greatly appreciated. Thanks again.

kipBeent

-

Post by kipBeent »

Try to add a "console" statement to the command line you need to use a serial cable to access U-Boot this early to get a more complete boot log.